October 28, 2020

Advertise with us
HOME REGIONS Latin America › Mobile LTE connections to soar in Latin America

Mobile LTE connections to soar in Latin America

by Stuart Wilson, Wednesday 12 August 2015

LTE connections in Latin America reached 11.76 million in 2014, according to a report published by Dataxis. This figure will have increased dramatically by 2018, reaching 187.8 million connections, according to the research firm. Data includes combined LTE connections in the region’s seven largest markets: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru and Venezuela.

Colombia, Brazil and Mexico were pioneers in launching LTE services in the region. 4G technology arrived in Latin America in 2012 and began to gain traction in 2014, driven by FIFA World Cup in Brazil. That year, Brazil accounted for 57.5% of total LTE connections in the markets covered.

Dataxis projects that, by 2018, Brazil will continue to lead the 4G LTE market, although its market share of total regional connections will decline to 32.8%, followed by Mexico with 29.1% and Colombia with 24.6%.

At the end of 2014, Latin America’s seven main countries recorded close to 592 million mobile lines. In turn, the mobile market accounted for 69% of total telecom revenues.

In 2014 4G LTE connections represented 2% of total mobile lines in the countries covered. That ratio will grow to 29.7% by 2018, while 3G technology will continue to lead with 65.8% market share. Dataxis believes that, by 2018, 98.3% of LTE users will be connected via 4G smartphones, and only the remaining 1.7% will connect using data-only devices.

Although 4G technology will experience a significant growth in the coming years, in the short term it still needs an alternative network to deliver voice services, as the deployment of voice over LTE (VoLTE) is at an early stage, even in the most developed markets. By 2018, Dataxis believes that 2G technology will survive to support M2M services and voice services in rural areas.

Media Partnership

We are pleased to confirm that Channel LatAm is an official Media Partner for all DISTREE events in 2015, including DISTREE Brazil & Latin America.

DISTREE Brazil & Latin America 2015, which takes place from September 16-18th in Sao Paulo, Brazil, gathers together hundreds of senior executives from the region’s leading ICT & CE e-tailers, retailers and distributors. Readers requiring more information about DISTREE events in 2015 should contact events@channelemea.com.

Print this page  Recommend this article  Reply to this article    Del.icio.us   Digg   Technorati

October, 2020
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 


Advertise with us

Login


Register here

Press Releases

Upload your PR here

Advertise with us